Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Space and Place

Honestly, walking through the Fora Romanum made me a little bit sad, because of all that was not there. When reading about the Fora Romanum, even though I knew it did not exist anymore, I still pictured a bustling area, filled with many buildings. In a way, it was, except all the people around me were tourists, and, unlike our group and the ancient romans, I’m sure that at least some did not know the history of all the buildings and ruins, and thus could not appreciate them as much. (I feel that knowledge of the history, of the events that occurred there make the place have more significance.  Seeing the floor of the house where the Vestal Virgins existed was really cool because I knew who these women were, and their duties. Instead of being just another ruin, it connected with the soft, ancient city that I had in my head, and gained meaning.) After going through the forum, I was left with a feeling of regret, that I was not able to see the forum in it’s full glory, with all the temples and buildings still standing. Considering that just half of a Basilica filled me with awe, I can’t imagine what it must have been like to walk through the streets surrounded by more amazing buildings.
I agree with what many people mentioned about how they felt in the forum. I did feel very guided through the forum, with the railings and pathways dictating where I should go (as well as the fact that there are only a few places through which you can enter and exit.) I really wish that I could walk through the forum as the ancient romans would have, to enter the buildings, and to not only keep to the paths set out for tourists.

All in all, I definitely felt like an outsider, although I did not feel entirely like a tourists, since i had spent the whole semester learning about Rome, and so felt a little connected to the monuments.  And, unless I went back in time to Ancient Rome, I don't think I will ever not feel like and outsider in the forum.

1 comment:

  1. Maria,

    This entry captures many of the nuances and much of the ambivalence that comes of being a student-tourist in an ancient site / modern archaeological park. Myself, I have problems with the Forum, because I want to bond with it, but there are too many barriers in the way.

    Your writing is very good, but you should take care not to over-explain or to repeat yourself. Your last paragraph, for example, is unnecessary. The piece could have ended more successfully in the paragaph above.

    Next time you write a Space and Place entry (in the Vatican Museums), try putting it in the present tense. Pick a point A and move to point B and describe the journey. This stance will help you get to the next level.

    8.5/10

    ReplyDelete