Thursday, May 26, 2011

Q and A

I was confused by a few things on the Palatine hill. One of these things was the remains of a giant marble foot that we found among the ruins of the Domus Flavia. Since it was a fairly big foot, the rest of the statue must have also been magnificent and awe-inspiring. And yet, I could find no mention in either the Blue Guide or the internet of who that foot belonged to, whether it had been a statue of a god or an emperor.  I find it odd that there would have existed such a large statue without any mention of it in any ancient writings.
                In addition to the foot, I was struck by the wall painting hanging in the Domus Augustiana. What surprised me, and confused me a little, about that wall painting was how modern it seemed. While it seemed classical in the fact that it used geometric shapes, the lines and colors seemed to come straight from modern times, and seemed out of place in my idea of ancient Rome.  The Blue Guide does mention these wall paintings, but I still cannot fathom that these paintings existed in those times, and that the rooms would have been full of them .

No comments:

Post a Comment