Friday, June 3, 2011

Space and Place 2 (Vatican Museum)

I was very excited to go to the Vatican Museum, because I was sure that this would be a fantastic experience. After the class split up in the courtyard with the giant pine cone, I wandered through the museum, starting in the gallery with all the ancient statues. I'm not exactly sure where I went from there, as all I did was to follow the signs for the Sistine Chapel. I tried to enjoy the art that I encountered on the way, but I ended up getting really frustrated. I felt rushed, and didn’t feel that I could give the art the attention that it deserved.
 I was really eager to see the Sistine Chapel, but I found myself really disappointed by my experience. The art was utterly gorgeous, but being literally herded by the guards to join the pack of people standing on the floor, craning their necks up, was unpleasant. I wanted the opportunity to quietly and calmly observe the masterpiece, but, unfortunately, it was impossible to do so. I tried to view as much of the ceiling as I could, and then I left promptly. I felt more discomfort when I tried to go back to the courtyard with the (drinkable) water fountain. I was left with no choice but to follow the signs for the exit, which led me past several gift shops, and past the courtyard, to the post office. At this point, I was actually a little bit scared that I wouldn't be able to get back, and I was getting really annoyed, at the fact that I felt so out of control and so guided. I did eventually end up at the courtyard, but it took me quite a while.
 Although I did have a more pleasant experience in the less crowded rooms with religious paintings, and the Faberge exhibit, overall I didn’t like the museum because of the way that they guide the visitors, and the large masses. I feel that, like the museum in the Villa Borghese, that they should limit the amount of people allowed in a time, although that would make the lines even longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment